Wednesday, September 20, 2017

My Experience During The Democratic Primaries



WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW 
By Senator Rev. Rubén Díaz 
32nd Senatorial District, Bronx County, New York 

You should know that I am writing this column from my home town of Bayamon, Puerto Rico where I am visiting my brother Ramon Diaz who is fighting pancreatic cancer.   

You should also know that the past Democratic primaries conducted on Tuesday, September 12th, left many stunned, surprised and others disappointed.   

First, let me tell you that I had to confront four opponents, and each one of them spent their time and money attacking and accusing me of just about everything that may come to mind. 
They not only compared me to Donald Trump, they accused me of being anti-woman, racist, a homophobe, and anti-immigrant, etc.   

My four opponents, one a woman, one an African American, one openly gay, and one of German descent, they did not waste any time to paint me, as the worst enemy of each of their respective communities and ethnic group. 

As a matter of fact, the pressure that some members of the gay community placed on Assemblyman Michael Blake "an African American" {a personal friend of mine before the primaries} forced him to publicly denounce me, and he requested that I return a $1,000.00 campaign contribution he had made to my campaign. 

It is important for you to know that consequently, not one single African American elected official came out publically to support me.   Could you imagine not one?   

Among the Latino legislators that publically supported me were Bronx Borough President  Ruben Diaz Jr., The Bronx County Democratic Chairman Assemblyman Marcos Crespo, my campaign manager Assemblyman Luis Sepulveda, Assemblywoman Carmen Arroyo, Assemblyman Victor Pichardo, Congressman Adriano Espaillat, Senator Marisol Alcantara, and Council members Rafael Salamanca, Fernando Cabrera, and Ydanis Rodriguez. 

The rest of my colleagues ran away from me, but my dear readers I do promise that I will always work hand in hand with them if they ever need me.   

On the other hand, I was proud to have received the endorsements or fair treatment from the following news media outlets: City and State,  The New York Daily News, The New York Post, The Bronx Chronicles, Bangla Patrika, The Taxi Voice, The New York Cronicas, and The Taxista News.   

Also the following labor Unions:  The Patrolmen's Benevolent Association (PBA), The New York City Corrections Association (COBA), The Detective Endowment Association, Captain Endowment, Lieutenant Benevolent, Sergeant  Association, LIUNA, Uniformed Fire Fighters, DEA Cope Fund, Building for New Yorkers, NYS Laborers PAC. 

I conclude by stating that if an elected official or any person has a wife like Mrs. Leslie I. Diaz, children like Damaris, Samuel, and Ruben Jr., and a staff such as mine, that person is the most blessed.     

This is Senator Rev. Ruben Diaz and this is What You Should Know.    

No comments:

Post a Comment